In what can only be described as a bizarre turn of events, the four men who were apprehended by the police on August 24 for an alleged kidnapping of a middle-aged man, had been released later the same evening.
According to police spokesperson Sgt Nellie Dwaba, the alleged kidnapping occurred around midday at the Vopak petroleum terminal in Jameson Park, where the victim claimed he was overpowered by four armed men while leaving work in his Ford Bantam bakkie. He later told police he was thrown into the boot of the kidnappers’ car and that they drove around for hours, before he was told to contact his family for ransom money. The victim told police that after several hours of driving around, the kidnappers dropped him off at The Angelo Mall. His Bantam bakkie was also found in the parking area and shortly thereafter four men (who were driving in a Toyota Fortuner) were apprehended by the police.
“The kidnappers allegedly demanded R20 000 from the victim, who then had to phone a family member. However, the exact details of how the ransom was to be paid, remains sketchy,” Sgt Dwaba said.
During an investigation into the kidnapping, police were able to confirm the four men’s alibi is that they were visiting family and had stopped by The Angelo Mall on the afternoon of August 24 for business before leaving to return to the Eastern Cape. They were also unarmed and could not successfully be linked to the crime, hence their subsequent release.
“The victim, who sustained no visible injuries to his body, was unable to identify his so-called kidnappers and there were no eye witnesses who could assist the police either,” Sgt Dwaba added.
Seen here is the victim of an alleged kidnapping, which he claimed occurred on August 24 at the Vopak petroleum terminal in Jameson Park around midday. Police are still investigating the incident.
The investigation is ongoing.