A domestic worker and gardener were conned by four armed robbers on July 19 at a residence in Jordaan Park when they convinced the domestic worker that they were sent to do “a job” at the house.
At first the domestic told the men that the homeowner did not inform her of any workers that would show up that day, but they faked a phone call to “their manager” which convinced her. After the domestic worker opened the gate, the robbers quickly drew firearms and gained en
try to the home. They grabbed a television set and fled the scene. The domestic worker and gardener were unharmed, but both were traumatised after guns were held against their heads.
It is important to educate your domestic worker to be alert at all times. Also issue your domestic with a remote control panic button should you have this facility linked to your intruder alarm system. Domestic workers play an integral part in any home security system and it is critical that they are empowered and equipped to look after their own safety, as well as the safety of anyone else on the property such as children they may be looking after.
SAFETY TIPS FOR DOMESTIC WORKERS
• When alone at home cleaning or working, make sure that all doors and windows are closed and locked.
• DO NOT allow anyone onto the property before confirming with the homeowner that they are expected, for example electricians, meter readers, Telkom technicians, etc.
• DO NOT go out to the gate when someone is on the intercom or calling, rather talk over the intercom or through a window from inside the house.
• Be careful when putting out or fetching rubbish bins. Look around for any suspect people and close and lock the gate immediately.
• Be careful when hanging up or bringing in washing, as suspects can jump over the wall and attack you. Be quick when you are outside and go back into the house, LOCKING the door behind you.
• DO NOT leave keys in doors or security gates.
• If there is a panic button, carry it at all times, preferably where it is not visible.
• Make sure you always know an emergency number AND the address where you are in case of an emergency.
• DO NOT TRUST ANYONE and DO NOT give out any information about the property or your employers!
Everyone wants and deserves to be safe, no matter who they are and where they work. Ensure that your domestic worker knows the local contact numbers of the police, local security companies and the sector police of your residential area.
To report crime or suspectactivity, phone the relevant sector:
HEIDELBERG SECTOR NUMBERS
HEIDELBERG SECTOR 1
Overkruin, Army Gymnasium, Heidelberg Kloof, Bergsig, Spaarwater, Rooikraal, Eendracht, Blinkpoort, Groenfontein, Poortje, Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve, Koppieskraal and Klippoortje.
Patrol vehicle: 071 675 7396. Commander: Sergeant Vusumuzi Zondo: 082 822 8329.
HEIDELBERG SECTOR 2
Heidelberg Central, Jordaanpark, Shalimar Ridge, Boschfontein, Schikfontein, Klipstapel and Mount Arabel.
Patrol vehicle : 071 675 7295 of 071 675 7292. Commander: W/O Wollie Wolmarans: 082 822 8367.
HEIDELBERG SECTOR 3
Rensburg, Houtpoort, Lagerspoort, Steynskraal, De Hoek, Modderfontein and Bothaskraal.
Patrol vehicle: 071 675 7296 of 071 675 7294. Commander: W/O Frank Mnqosini: 082 856 0968.
NIGEL SECTOR AREAS
Area: from The Angelo Mall to Eeufees Avenue.
Sector manager: W/O Justin Sherwood – 082 778 9040.
Area: From Scarborough Street to Alrapark and MacKenzieville.
Sector manager: W/O J Janse van Rensburg – 082 774 9827.
Area: Jameson Park, Pretoriusstad, Vorsterskroon, Hallgate Plots and all farming districts.
Sector manager: W/O Bezuidenhout -082 787 2901.
Despite having the best possible safety measures in place, criminals still gain entry to properties
Get your domestic worker to register on the Namola Emergency Application for Smart phones and train them how to use the app in the case of an Emergency
Follow us on: